Southminster puts its faith in action! The congregation engages in a variety of mission and outreach opportunities through the coordination of our Outreach Ministry Unit and the Southminster Presbyterian Church Foundation.
Additionally, about once per month on Wednesday Nights during the school year, Outreach hosts a "Mission Wednesday" for our Wednesday night programs where we have helped some of the ministries below. The next Mission Wednesday will be in October 2016.
In addition, our church gives generously through benevolence dollars to several organizations. Below you can find a sample of the agencies Southminster has helped with finances and volunteer hours. Click on the name of each organization/ministry to find more information on what they do in our community and around the world.
- Greater Birmingham Ministries: Recipients of canned good and toy drive each Christmas
- First Light Women’s Shelter: Groups from Southminster often donate gods for the shelter and serve breakfast about once a quarter.
- Jimmy Hale Mission: A place where our youth visit regularly to serve a meal/classes
- Habitat for Humanity: Southminster participates in a Presbytery wide group build each fall
- Souper Bowl of Caring: This offering that goes in nationwide is collected on Super Bowl Sunday each year; collections in 2017 went to Stop Hunger Now and GBM.
- Stop Hunger Now: A newer mission endeavor, the church and Southminster Day School collect money each November-February to host a meal packing event. The meal packaging event sees volunteers put together enough meals to feed over 10,000 people!
- Presbyterian Home For Children: This ministry serves the whole state of Alabama,helping homeless families and teens find safe shelter and make transition into more sustainable housing situations.
- Congo Partnership: Long a mission of our Presbytery, Southminster send funds supporting the work of partner presbyteries, Nganza and Tshibashi, which belong to the CPC (Communaute Presbyterienne au Congo) in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. They are located in the Kananga area. We also support the work of PC(USA) mission personnel in that region.
- Matthew28 was founded in 1996 by Hein Vingerling and Southminster member Mark Hopkins. It is the mission of Matthew Twenty-Eight to bring the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the Central Plateau of Haiti in a practical way by feeding hungry children and caring for the orphans. Please visit the M28 website for more information!